Thursday, July 7, 2011

Countdown To 30

In just under 6 months, I will be 30 years old. I'm pretty stoked about it. I've pretty much put all of my chips on my thirties rockin' the house.



Teens... awkward.


Twenties... awesome, but fraught with trial and error. And some frump phases I'll probably not let myself live down. (The above picture not included. I thought I looked awesome that day.)

Thirties... I'm hoping I'll find some balance, poise, and grace waiting for me in there somewhere. And clear skin. Or at least a good skin routine. Yeah...

So here's the deal. "30" isn't really sneaking up on me per say, but being 29 and pouring myself into my growing family means that there are a few things that I intended to accomplish this year that haven't done yet. And a few that just aren't practical anymore. Starting a band and recording an album with the Daddy Rabbit... a bit ambitious. Losing a million pounds this year isn't going to happen... shouldn't happen. I'm growing a human here. But there are some very do-able items that I think I'd like to tackle in the next 6 months. Some of them are things I'd like to get done, others are changes my  20-something-self would like to see in my 30-something-self. So without further ado... My 30 before 30 list.

1. Put all photos of the last 20 years of my life into albums, frames, or books. All digital photos saved to secure location.
2. Get rid of clothes I don't wear or like, including bridesmaid dresses, lingerie that doesn't "do the job", and (gasp) all those awesome vintage items that are waiting for me to lose 50lbs. There's some girl out there who needs those pieces to rock her world as much as I did 10 years ago.
3. Focus on Health and Fitness, not size, weight, or externals.
4. Clean up after every meal. Gross... I know... but I'm working on it!
5. Find a classic and classy, signature scent and wear it often. Tell Daddy Rabbit it's cool if that's all I get for birthday, anniversary, whatever.
6. Organize the business end of my doula business.
7. Knit a baptismal gown for New Baby
8. Send cards and letters to my nieces and nephews. Even the grown ones.
9. Pray more.
10. Put all birthdays, anniversaries, names days and Major Feast days into one place. Send cards and notes accordingly.
11. Plan surprises for the Lady Bug and Daddy Rabbit.
12. Organize (or just participate in) a girls-only trip to somewhere. By girls I do not mean littles.
13. Wear lipstick 3 days out of the week.
14. Send flowers to a friend.
15. Listen to music more often.
16. Play music more often.
17. Overcome Potty Training-phobia. Just do it. (I do use the toilet. I mean phobia of training the kiddo.)
18. Spend less time in front of screens and more time out of doors.
19. Have a baby. (heh... I got this one.)
20. Recycle.
21. Befriend someone not in the same stage of life as me... preferably older.
22. Focus on gratitude and all the good things I already have.
23. Write more... Here on the blog is a good start.
24. Unpack all my belongings after we move. A place for everything.
25. See the last Harry Potter movie. Maybe by myself... maybe with a huge box of tissues.
26. Learn to use my serger... AND use it.
27. Document the little things my children do. Seriously... I know everyone told/tells me to, but I don't.
28. Purge our music collection and condense it all into one place.
29. Listen more, talk less. This sounds really vague, but if you've ever talked to me... well, I like to add all my insights and sometimes forget that... oh yeah.. you were telling me something...
30. Get back in the habit of living.

This list was NOT easy to write. Just so you know. It's so tempting for me to just say "do all the things I wanna do" because there is so much. But having a list with some specifics will help. Any make-myself-a-better-human goals for the next year?

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this. Sounds like what we all need to do, a little "self" housecleaning. At least sounds like what I need to do. =) -Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also feeling #'s 1,2,3,4,9,12,17,18,19,22,24,26,27,29!
    I must say I do hope you've gotten to fulfill #25! I see maybe a movie a year in the theater and that one was worth it.

    ReplyDelete